5 things to do in downtown Shreveport on July 22
The images of photographer Bennie Dotie’s works whisper their stories. The old school takes center stage as the City Auditorium hosts a traditional country music festival. If you need something louder later, Metallica’s homage to The Missing Link will scream welcome. Sharks are on the prowl at the Shreveport Aquarium, and you’re invited to “Wine Down” on Wednesdays with a drink and a smile. It’s always hot in our #CoolDowntown.
1. Bennie Dotie believes that photography is one of the most effective means of communication. As a professional press photographer and later as a photography teacher, he was able to share this special medium of communication with others. Some of Dotie’s work, Caddo Lake: Texas Style will be on display in an exhibition at Central ARTstation this week. It calls phototherapy; we just call them beautiful. When: Continuous, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Where: 801 Crockett St. Cost: Free admission. Info: FB/caddo lake, texas style
2. A place that housed Elvis and Hank houses this weekend the Keeping It Country Live Traditional Country Music Festival sponsored by AMP. Several performers, including Gene Watson, Moe Bandy and Jim Stampley, will take the stage at the historic Municipal Auditorium for the day-long country music extravaganza. Spend the day with traditional country; check out your old favorites and discover new ones! When: Saturday, July 23, from 9:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Where: 705 Elvis Presley Blvd. Cost: $80 and up. Info: FB/ keep the country live
3. If country isn’t your thing, maybe metal is? Join other metalheads in the tribute to Metallica (Kill Em All). From Creeping Death to One, listen to the songs you love to fight to… cranked up real loud. When: Saturday, July 23, 8 p.m. Where: The Missing Link, 504 Texas St. Cost: $10. Info: Tribute FB/Metallica
4. Masters of the Deep return to center stage in their own week. shark week takes place July 24-31 at the Shreveport Aquarium, and it will be filled with all sorts of fun things you can imagine: feeding sharks, a shark birthday party, even awesome shark tattoos ( temporary, of course)! When: Saturday July 24-31. Where: Shreveport Aquarium, 601 Clyde Fant Parkway. Cost: $12/$15. Info: shreveportaquarium.com
5. If you can just make it to Wednesday, you can make it the week. Cocktails and conversation from the Lake Street Bar on ‘Wine Down’ Wednesday always helps! Drop by and unwind with a relaxing refreshment with drinks, good conversation and fun times. When: Wednesdays, 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Where: Lake Street Bar, 315 Lake St. Cost: Anything you buy. Info: FB/bar on rue du lac